Founded by the 1st Dalai Lama Gyalwa Gendun Drup in 1447, Tashi Lhunpo Monastery is located at the foot of Dolmari (also known as Tara’s Mountain), Shigatse. One of the six big monasteries of the Gelugpa lineage, it covers almost 300,000 square meters (3,229,279 sq. ft.). Since the 4th Panchen Lama took over as the head of the monastery, Tashi Lhunpo has been the seat of all Panchen Lamas up until this day.
The Panchen Lama is the second most important lama in the Gelug lineage after His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Known to be the emanation of Amitabha Buddha, the Panchen Lama is a contemporary of the Dalai Lama and is spiritually on par with His Holiness. The 4th Panchen Lama and his successors have been expanding this monastery progressively over the years. The main structures of Tashi Lhunpo are the Maitreya Chapel, the Panchen Lama’s Palace and the Kelsang Temple.
Also within the sprawling monastery grounds is a chapel dedicated to Dharma Protector Dorje Shugden where senior monks perform special Dorje Shugden pujas, rites and rituals on a daily basis. It is a well-known fact that many people visit this chapel in times of need and there are daily requests for Dorje Shugden prayers by the laypeople.
Pictures of Dorje Shugden and Entourage at Tashi Lhunpo Monastery
Please support us so that we can continue to bring you more Dharma: